Tuesday, February 1, 2011

8 Days to Go

Hello all!


There are 8 days left until I leave for Australia. I've started making rounds to family and friends to see them once more before I leave. Everyone asks the same thing: "Are you excited?"

At first glance, this question seems like one of those that should be followed by "Duh!" However, it's not quite that simple. The stress involved distracts my ability to be pumped, so I meekly reply with a smile, "Yes."

Day in and day out, my head spins around the worst possibilities and the bad outcomes. Which is abnormal for me; normally I'm a pretty optimistic person. I have to keep telling myself, 'It's music! It's Australia! It's a place of your own; it's a beach; it's warm!' and so on. I think it's because it still seems so surreal to me.

Perhaps once I start to pack and decide what I'll bring and what will stay... maybe then it will finally seem real to me.

Anyway! I like to start my blogs with introductions and a glimpse of what's to come. I'd like to make this blog solely about my time in Australia (and if there's anything interesting to tell, the week leading up to it). This idea came from my Aunt asking if I will have a blog. So, here it is! I'm not that great at keeping up other blogs, but I'll give it my best shot.

Also, I would like to explain my "signature:" Girl in the Gold. There are a couple reasons why I chose this. The most obvious reason is that the city I will be living in is Gold Coast. I also wanted to have a more subtle meaning that isn't necessarily specific to Australia. "In the gold" in this sense means I'm in the middle of an opportunity; an adventure; something extraordinary and above all, a huge change. I have no idea what to expect or what is to come in the upcoming months... but I feel honored to be given the chance to experience something completely different. I won't take it for granted. It's special (like gold, get it?)

That ramble is quite long enough. I'm going to go watch my Montreal Canadiens play the Capitals. We could start the list of silly things I'll miss when I leave at: the NHL.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the FIRST.. I'm the FIRST!!! :) Safe travels to you and what an adventure! I look forward to stories...and pictures! DH and I dream about a trip to Australia and New Zealand..and all kinds of other places..but unless we win the lottery, we probably won't see it in our lifetime (you never know... we might)..so instead, I'm going to read your posts and gaze at your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete