Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Hectic Month


So the last month has been a bit hectic. 

As far as my social life is concerned, it’s definitely a roller-coaster. Sometimes you think you know someone, and they change; spin on a dime. You think you’re at the start of something great, and they drop a bomb that can’t be taken back. We’ll leave it at this: making real friends… is hard. 

Five weeks ago I came home to a pretty quiet house. After I put my purse down in my room and started to unwind, Di came to my door and said “I’ve got to tell you something.” Immediately my mind started racing: is someone ill? Have I done something wrong? And a dozen other things raced all in a matter of seconds. “Trav has been offered a full-time job in Melbourne, which means we’ll be moving there. We have to be out by the end of April.” 

And the race was on. I had to find a place and move into it in four weeks. I didn’t want to go through that stress again, but alas, some things are out of your control. However, I do have to say, I was happy for them. I’m not bitter about a great opportunity for them. 

Luckily my persistence and stress-head-mind comes in handy sometimes – I found a place within two weeks, and last week I moved in. I’m now living with a mother and her 19-year-old son, as well as her boyfriend (who is supposedly “temporary” ;) They are seriously wonderful people, and the son actually quite reminds me of my own brother! The house is a bit out of the way from Uni and everything else, but I’m working out shortcuts and bus schedules to make it easier. 

As far as Uni is concerned, it’s sped up a lot. As every semester, they’ve put assignments all in the last six weeks. Booking studio time has been an absolute paaiinnn. People like to book rooms and studios and then not show up. All of the reasonable hours are taken up so for the last three nights I’ve been there until at least 1am, if not 3am. Tonight’s my first night “off” and I am going to sleep SO good. (I hope!) 

Searching for a job isn't any easier than it wasn't last year. Applied about a dozen places but the only news I've heard is "no" from an HR assistant position. Still looking though! I'll have a few dollars coming in eventually though! Playing my first gig next month!! I've formed a trio with a new friend from Uni (a first year), and she knows a great guitarist who is going to back us while we do originals for a 40 minute set. We're both fairly nervous about performing, so we're getting over our nerves together. I'm pretty excited.. 

The days are still hot, but the nights are getting chilly. I know, I know, it’s not Canada cold, but it’s not warm either! 

Missing home a lot lately so I’ve been searching for cheap flights home in the summertime – trying to keep a logical head about it. 

I hope you’re all well and the weather’s warming up nicely for you :)
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment