Saturday, February 19, 2011

First Trip to the Beach

Yesterday was just a wonderful day. I woke up and decided I needed to do laundry. Mitch helped me out because I didn't have the proper coins I needed for the machines (It only takes $1 and .20c) We then came to the conclusion it's freaking hot. So while I waited for my laundry, we swam. Ended up meeting 4 people in the pool (with help from Mitch - he's really good at meeting people). Only one of them lives here, and the other 3 were just visiting him, but I'm sure we'll see them again anyway.

These people were on their way to the beach and invited us to come along - heck yeah! They even had vehicles. Bonus! Don't have to take the bus.

I came back to my room and packed a little bag of stuff to take. We first went to the nearby mall and grabbed some food. I don't think any of us had eaten at that point. Then we went on a 15 minute drive just trying to find parking near a beach, hah. Found it. Walked there. Me and the other girl went to the bathroom first - I wanted to change into my swim suit and also use the toilet. What did I not see in my bag? The bottoms to my swim suit! I had forgotten them.

So, I swam in my shorts. C'est la vie. Thankfully they weren't jean shorts.

Now, I'm a pretty good swimmer. I've swam in a couple beaches and done the whole wave pool thing, but the waves at this beach were massive to me. If you were in the ocean, water around your chest, I bet a whole other person could stand on top of you and get wet, too. They were very tall. Very strong. Very full of salt. (I ingested a lot of salt water, haha.) After trying to "body surf" I realized I may not be so keen on trying to surf. But... small steps at a time.

After a few dozen waves, I decided to let most of them hit my back so I didn't have to go under water. This was not a good idea. Although I forgot my bottoms, I did remember my bikini top. And this one particular wave decided it was going to grow some magical fingers and undo my bow.

Yeah. My top came off. It was okay though, still had it around my neck so it only took about a minute to twist it around and tie it again. Gawd. I moved back where the waves weren't as strong after that so it didn't happen again.

We all went back to shore after another dozen waves and laid on the beach. 20 minutes later I'm hot and want to go back in.

One thing they warn you about here are the jellyfish, bluebottle jellyfish, to be exact:






While I was enjoying the waves, I got stung twice on my leg. It burns, it stings, I decide to go back and lay on my towel. But this was not an easy feat! At this point, the beach was littered with bottlnecks either washed up on the sand, or about to be washed up, being brought in by the waves. I managed to get out without touching another one thankfully.

Some people said to pee on it or put vinegar on it - I easily could have asked the lifeguards for something, but it really wasn't that bad, just mostly annoying, so I left it. (One girl though, she got stung pretty bad. The places she got stung were a little puffed out, pretty long. She peed on it.) We, "the gang," head into the shade because we all had had enough sun time. Me and 4 others decide to go inside and get a drink.

When we come back, we all just hang out and talk in the apartment of the guy who actually lives in the village. Most everyone had plans so we said our goodbye's around 6.30. Mitch and I invite the village boy, Matt, out to a pub.

I won't bore you with details of the night, but we ended up staying in anyway. I met another few people down in the grassy area. I do feel bad, though. I'm not a good names person. I only remember one name. I saw a lot of people at the bbq today that I talked to last night, and I couldn't for the life of me remember their names! Regardless..

I know I've made this day sound a little annoying, but it was actually a wonderful day and ended it on a great note.

Although, I am burnt. And I can't go outside today because it hurts too much, ha! (Poor me, eh?) Today I'm relaxing, and hopefully tomorrow I can go outside again to get some groceries.

...I'll take pictures next time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh so jealous.. the beach!?!?... It snowed here yesterday, just a little though, but it did snow :P

    ReplyDelete