Saturday, February 12, 2011

Still Adjusting


Hey guys,

Sorry I didn’t post when I arrived. I’ll have an excuse in a few paragraphs :P * You don't have to read the following jibberish (admittedly boring), but there are pictures of my place below, so check those out!


The flights went well, and I found all the new gates and connections (almost) without a hitch. Most everyone I ran into asking questions or riding a transfer bus with were pretty nice. They were really interested to learn I came from Canada. The only REAL complaint I have is that the woman next to me on the big plane (remember, i was stuck in the middle) never wanted to let me out. The girl on my right (I later learned) took a sleeping pill and advil, so she was conked out pretty much the whole time. So the lady on my left had to let me out whenever I needed to get up  – I caught her once rolling her eyes. Mom thinks I should have taken revenge on the bitch. Yeah, probably should have :P Nobody should try and make you feel guilty for going to the bathroom!

Got off the plane into Sydney, and aside from my stomach being in a lot of pain (perhaps the plane food?), I could tell I was dehydrated and overwhelmed because I was getting that feeling like my body was preparing to faint. I was light-headed and it felt like the airport was rocking a lot. So I bought some powerade and just sat down for 45 minutes (thankfully I had time to do that). I ended up being fine, but wasn’t a good feeling.

So! Got off the plane in Gold Coast and met the Griffith University guy. While waiting for my luggage, there was a little band on the other side, one guy was playing his ukulele and the others dancing along, banging on the case and whatnot. I think they had just gotten off my flight, too. Anyway, the uni guy took me to the village, but not before seeing Surfer’s paradise, a few shopping malls and some other things – I still have no idea where any of it is, but i saw it! My favourite thing was seeing the city skyline, beaches, and mountains all in one glance.

* When I first arrived, my insides immediately caved in. The room isn’t what I expected, and I had a 20 minute fight with a cockroach behind my couch. Yeah. So I’ve been intensely homesick ever since I walked through the office. Being homesick is very new to me. When I moved to Toronto, of course I missed home, but being homesick is more than just missing the people and places – it’s affecting me mentally and physically. I don’t really have an appetite, and we won’t explore the mental part, haha. This is why I didn’t post right away, because 97% of me just wanted to leave right away. Not the best first impression. But today is better – I talked to mom for a few hours, and that alone really helped. She knows just what to say. I also got to chat with some friends back home for a few minutes, most of them even saying “Hi” to me first! I also took my mom’s advice and just got outside. I took my book to my patio and read for about an hour. A few people waved and said hi, and one guy asked if it was a good book, and when he walked by again, he looked in and waved. Possible new friend prospect! Woo.

I went grocery shopping, though, I didn’t buy much food. Oh! Guess what they call rice krispies here? Rice bubbles!! I laughed. In the store. I laughed. But yeah, there are still lots of things I DON’T have. Including straightener, hair dryer, bedding, a phone, etc.! 

Here’s what my place looks like:

 Entryway to my place

 My patio! Reading Chuck Palahniuk, of course!



 View from my couch - yes... I AM watching Madagascar :):) I brought two personal things with me that are in the shelf above my chair: a rock that says "Don't dream your life, live your dream," and the framed photos my friends signed.

" Kitchen and dining room" Notice my mini fridge? That might take awhile to get used to.

 "bedroom"! Bed on left, closet on the right, though it's a bad view. And no, I haven't unpacked yet, haha.. Soon.

 Bathroom!

 My shower. Yeah, there's no door. Just half a glass wall separating it :P

 A full look of the place from my bathroom. 

So there it is! I have sun on my patio almost the whole day. Birds right outside my door. Nothing exciting happening as of yet. Tomorrow there's a village BBQ. Not sure what time. Maybe I'll leave my door open so I can smell my way there. ha! 

Ttfn :)

1 comment:

  1. Give yourself some time to settle in. It looks sooo nice there... GREEN!!! (as opposed to the winter wonderland you left behind). The people sound very nice as well! As for the bug issue...that sucks! Is there anyone you can report it to? A bbq sounds fabulous..I'm sure if we attempted that here, the food would freeze before reaching the plate! Good luck as you settle in, we're sure you will be fine :)

    ReplyDelete