Thursday, April 14, 2011

Peace Off.

Well hello again!

Not too much has happened since my last post. A lot of writing, assignments, etc. One thing is worth mentioning though:

Last weekend I went out to Surfers Paradise (clubbing area) with a friend, and met 3 of his female friends. We all clicked pretty well. And I looked all right, too.






The night was fun. My ears were ringing until I fell asleep because the music was so loud, but dancing is a good way to relieve stress. On the ride home I learned a very important lesson. You see, back home, my "sign" is the peace sign, palm facing me. It's my go-to thing when someone takes a picture. It's accepted as a fairly nice symbol as far as I know. So as we were driving home (my friend was the DD), we were at a red light and the car next to us looked over, two young guys, so I smiled and gave them the peace sign. This is my greeting. They didn't like it. The driver flipped me the bird, and at the next light, he got out of his car and started coming toward us. I told my friend to just run the light- thankfully he did.. who knows what would have happened.

Then the girls in the back seat begin to explain that it doesn't mean the same thing here. In fact, it means f*ck you/off. Just another way of flipping someone off. I felt sooo bad. I keep asking my Australian friends if they have heard of it, and about 80% of them say that yes, I did tell them to f off. Whoops. I've gotta start turning my hand around...

No comments:

Post a Comment